Tuesday, February 6, 2007

RIBE THE OLDEST CITIES IN DENMARK

Ribe is one of the oldest cities in Denmark. Sitting on Denmark's west coast, Ribe was an important Viking trading center as early as the 9th century.

My parents once both lived in Ribe and it has become a dream for me to one day visit. As of now it is unrealistic, but browsing www.topworld.com made me think about this again. I think I will write a book about this place and tell my parents story.

The eye is continually caught by new impressions; the cathedral rises at the end of the street at one moment, and at the next there is an unexpected glimpse of flat salt meadows with grazing cattle. Its details also make Ribe quite special: half-timbered houses with finely carved woodwork, doors with artistic adornments, street lamps that great grandmother knew, and so on.

No comments: